Sometimes in life, you have to make your own fun. And sometimes, that fun falls right in your lap. This week, while working out timelines and scope for Handelabra's next two projects under development, we discovered something fun - Couplett and Uncle Slam are scheduled to finish up right around the same time.Now in some circles, that would just be a happy accident and everyone would just move on. Not here. No sooner had this fact been unearthed than John started in with "Uncle Slam will totally beat Couplett's firm buttocks" (I'm paraphrasing). This lead to Aaron making comments about Uncle Slam being more of an auntie. And so, a wager was struck.
As I watched this friendly contest develop, I couldn't help but think that a new era was dawning at Handelabra. The era of late nights and empty bottles . But still, who was I to stand in the way? John and Aaron certainly seemed ready to go toe-to-toe, code-to-code, bundle-to-bundle.
But I also realized there was a need for some modicum of civility so the following rules were enacted governing the contest. To be crowned winner, the app must:
- Be completed within the current scope
- Be submitted to the App Store first
- Not pulled back by us due to a bug discovered while awaiting review
- Rejection by Apple will NOT disqualify the winning app as we have no control over the review process
- This wager is between Aaron and John, if any other team members choose to make a side-bet, it is a separate wager.
Follow the contest
While it may not be shaping up as the "Bout heard round the world!", there is the potential for an upset here. Both projects are already under development, they are different in scope and have different sized teams. Both are scheduled to submit in early November. If you want to see the whole messy affair play out, you can:
- Follow John (@migrantp)
- Follow Aaron (@postmechanical)
- Follow @handelabra
- Follow the hashtag #whowillshipfirst
May the best app fall on it's face allowing the fastest one to win!